FSSAI is an abbreviated form of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI is an autonomous body set up by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which looks after food safety and regulation in India. With the help of its regulatory methods, the FSSAI protects the health of the public.
FSSAI is located in 5 regions- Northern Region, Southern Region, Eastern Region, Western Region, Northeastern Region. The headquarter of FSSAI is in New Delhi.
Reason For Establishing FSSAI:
- Promote and protect the safety of food.
Regulating the storage, manufacture, channels of distributions, import, and export of food.
Setting scientific standardization to food.
It needs to promote and spread awareness regarding food safety and food standards.
Creating a proper network of communication so that many people are made aware of food security.
Regarding farming policy, rules, and regulations for farming for the production of hygienic food, FSSAI plays a role in providing scientific and technical assistance to the Central and State government.
It also needs to collect data and make a proper analysis so that future obstacles can be supplanted with the help of proper policies and rules.
Research and Quality:
The Research and Development sector of FSSAI engages itself in studying and developing every factor so that rules and regulation, which formally has been implied, can be improvised and developed to a more effective way adapting to all the recent changes. Furthermore, their continuous studies and research have been helping the country by providing them by setting up better food standards, food safety, maintaining a proper hygienic lifestyle.
With its required guidelines, the Research team of FSSAI brings out more accurate and authentic points considering which further effective measures can be taken for the welfare of the society.
FSSAI looks after the Quality and safety of food items by setting certain points and guidelines. To help in asserting proper standards and quality of food products, FSSAI has set up laboratories. These laboratories are:
- Referral labs-14
- FSSAI notified NABL accredited labs- 112
- State Labs- 72
According to Section 31(1) of FSS Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator within India should be licensed under the FSSAI. Everything regarding the registration is looked after by FSSAI.
Types of FSSAI license registration:
FSSAI license registration is of 3 types:
- FSSAI Basic Registration: only small business or startups with annual turnover less than Rs12 Lakh needs it.
FSSAI State License: This is needed by mid-sized companies, having annual turnover between Rs. 12 Lakhs to Rs. 20 Crores.
FSSAI Central License: here large business with an annual turnover of Rs. 20 crores need to have this registration.
For getting this registration done, it is necessary to have proper documents and authentic references.
Few among many documents have been mentioned below:
- Photo-ID of the business operator.
- No Objection Certificate.
- Signed Form-B by the proprietor or partner or authorized bodies.
- for manufacturing and processing units proper planned layout or processing unit blueprint is important.
- Full address and contact details of the members of the organization.
- Full details of the used types of machinery and equipment.
- Government Authority issued authentic Identity and Address Proof.
- Name and details of food items that the business unit is intending to produce.
- Certificate or plan of Food Safety Management.
- Affidavit of Proprietorship or Partnership Deed or Memorandum and Articles of Association and also self-declaration of FSSAI
- Source of raw material for production.
- NOC from the Municipality or local body.
Currently, it is very important for all the business units that are focusing on food, irrespective of its size, to have an FSSAI license. If any food business unit operates without an FSSAI license then the imprisonment of 6 months approximately can be seen.
This, to conclude it can be said if any businessman wants to have their food business successful they need to have an FSSAI license and also they need to follow the guidelines set by FSSAI.
- Human Resource Planning: Explanation, Process, Importance - October 28, 2020
- Steps To Create Marketing Plan [Complete Guide] - October 28, 2020
- Brand Essence: Explanation, Importance, Examples - October 28, 2020